St. Luke's Instruments
The Alston Memorial Pipe Organ was dedicated in October 1963. Made by the Austin Organ Company, with additions by Cornell Zimmer in 2000, it contains eight divisions played from a five-manual console. The swell, choir, solo and positive divisions are located on the right side of the chancel, and great and pedal divisions on the left. The antiphonal division is divided and exposed in the rear of the balcony. The echo division, located at the rear of the nave, comes from an earlier Roosevelt organ of the 1880’s. With nearly five thousand pipes, the organ has 90 ranks. A secondary two-manual console was added to the rear gallery in 2020. It is one of the finest organs in the southeastern United States and is regularly featured in recital by internationally acclaimed concert artists.
In addition, St. Luke's is blessed to have three Steinway & Sons grand pianos on its campus. The most recentacquisition was a 1910 Model A Steinway piano for the nave, given in thanksgiving for the late Sally & Brad Currey, Jr. This piano was beautifully restored by Faust Harrison Pianos in New York City and provides support for the Music at St. Luke's series and liturgies throughout the year.
In 2020, St. Luke's acquired a single-manual harpsichord built by Richard Kingston, one of the finest harpsichord builders in the world today. The harpsichord was made possible through memorial gifts given in memory of longtime parishioner, Palmour McIntire Dodd.