A Brief History of St. Luke’s
In the fall of 1863, while the war between the states raged about Atlanta, Charles Quintard, a physician and priest, assembled a congregation which led to the establishment of St. Luke’s parish on Easter Monday in the year 1864. Like the Phoenix, the Christian symbol of the resurrection, the city and parish together rose from the ashes to vigorous new life. Now 150 years later St. Luke’s, one-time Cathedral of the Diocese, is a thriving crossroads parish of over two thousand communicants.
The first liturgy celebrated in our present, modified, late English Gothic building was at its consecration in 1906. The windows were created and installed over a sixty year period and were the work of three stained glass studios: The Franz Mayer and Co. of Germany known for their red and rich purple hues, the Heaton, Butler & Bayne Co. of England known for their subtle green glow, and the Willet Stained Glass Co. of the United States known for their predominantly blue tones.
St. Luke’s has a thriving and extensive music ministry. The Alston Memorial Organ was installed in 1963 and was renovated and expanded in 2000. A new bell tower with ten change ringing bells was dedicated in 2000.
The parish is deeply committed to outreach. Crossroads Community Ministries was born in the St. Luke’s kitchen and today includes its own kitchen and dining room, a health clinic and a mail room, and offers counseling services for the homeless. St. Luke’s long-established Training & Counseling Center (TACC) is known for its numerous educational and clinical programs for adults, children and youth.